‘Suspicious’ vehicle, forced evacuation of Trafalgar Square blast


A thunderous explosion rocked London’s Trafalgar Square on Saturday morning, sending hundreds of terrified visitors running shortly after police evacuated a section of the popular tourist site on the third day of the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations.

The evacuation followed a 9.20am call to the Metropolitan Police about a suspicious vehicle in the square, The Sun reported.

The cops tweeted about an hour later that the vehicle “has been investigated and that after the police took action, we have no further concerns”.

“It was not terrorism related,” the tweet said.

A concert was scheduled outside Buckingham Palace, a short distance away, later on Saturday.

In a separate tweet, police said the “incident is now over and the place will reopen in due course.”

But the source of the explosion that sent the crowd into a panic was not immediately explained.

Crystal Goomnsingh, world news reporterwho was in the area at the time, tweeted that “Met Police conducted a controlled explosion after a suspicious vehicle was located”.

“Please don’t panic if you heard a bang,” said an officer at the scene. she reported in another tweet.

A woman tweeted that she the hotel on the square was also evacuated because of a “suspicious car unattended outside”. A second tweet showed a police van behind a cordoned off area.

Witnesses at the scene said the blast sent panic to the crowd.

Tourist Sarah Churchill, 38, who was in the square with her 11-year-old son Noah, told the Mirror: “I was in the square when the bomb went off.

She continued: ‘There were a lot of police, they were about to cross the square when we came around the corner we saw it was cordoned off.

“We were talking to a policeman when the bomb went off without any warning,” she said. “”It was intensely loud and intensely fast.”

Police remove a car following the evacuation from Trafalgar Square.
REUTERS/Phil Noble

The boy was terrified, she added. “My son is crying, he’s completely beside himself,” she said. “I had nothing to say to him. I didn’t know if it was a terrorist, or if it would be other bombs.

Another person told the newspaper that a panicked crowd of 150 ran as the loud bang rocked the square in the center of town.

“He told us it was a suspicious package, I don’t know if it was a controlled explosion, but no one told us it was about to go off,” the police said. shaken woman. “The policeman looked shocked.”


Comments are closed.